You’ll soon be heading home for your Christmas break, please find a number of useful points for you to think about before you leave your student property –
HEATING IN YOUR HOME – IMPORTANT
When leaving for the Christmas holidays, please do not turn off any gas or water.
Please make sure that you set your heating to come on between 8am and 10am in the morning and between 7pm and 9pm in the evening. The thermostat must be set to 18 – 20 degrees. This will protect the property from burst pipes etc. during any severely cold conditions.
SAFETY IN YOUR HOME
Although Sheffield is one of the UK's safest 'big cities', areas dominated by student accommodation tend to have a higher rate of burglaries and it's better to be safe than sorry.
You should make sure all of the windows and doors are securely locked and that your burglar alarm is fully set as you leave your property for your Christmas break. Make sure that all your valuable items aren’t on display especially in ground floor rooms and please close your lounge curtains.
PJ PROPERTIES OFFICE OPENING HOURS AND EMERGENCY CONTACTS
Our office opening hours during December and January are as follows –
9am – 5pm weekdays until Monday 17th December 2018
Tuesday 18th December – 9am – 12:30pm
Wednesday 19th December – 9:30am – 4pm
Thursday 20th December – 9:30am – 4pm
Closed Friday 21st December to 2nd January 2019
Thursday 3rd January 2019 - 10am – 2pm
Friday 4th January 2019 - 10am – 2pm
9am – 5pm weekdays from Monday 7th January 2019
If you are living in your property over the Christmas break and you have an emergency for example, a burst water pipe, please call our office and follow the instructions to contact our emergency telephone number. Please note – if a non-emergency call is made to this number, you will be charged.
Alternatively, please email us at email@example.com and a member of staff will answer your query in the New Year.
Have a very merry Christmas!
PJ Properties x
OUR OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON TUESDAY 28TH AUGUST 2018. FOR ACCESS TO THE EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER (ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES) PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE ON 01142667666.
IMPORTANT: You will not be able to collect your keys without an appointment. If you arrive at our office unannounced, we will not be able to give them to you.
- Please give us a call on 0114 2667666 from 9:30am on Monday 25th June 2018 in order to book an appointment to collect your keys. Our phone lines will be very busy on this day so if you can't get through straight away, please keep trying.
- You cannot collect your keys before your tenancy start date.
- You do not have to pick your keys up on the first day of your contract.
- If you would like someone else to pick your keys up for you, please let us know.
- If you and your housemates are picking up keys on the same day, please only make one appointment. However, if you are all planning on moving on different days you can just pick your own keys up.
- If you are planning to live in the property over the summer months (rather than just dropping stuff off), please let us know so that we can arrange for your property to be cleaned ASAP.
- We cannot accept key collection appointments via email.
IMPORTANT POINTS FOR NEW TENANTS
Please familiarise yourself with the content below:
MOVING IN ADVICE
- We cannot allow you to pick up your house keys until your tenancy begins (normally after 1pm on 1st July).
- If you are planning on moving into your house on July 1st to live in it, rather than just dropping stuff off, please email us and let us know. This way we can prioritise your house for cleaning and any repairs that may need to be carried out.
- If your current tenancy ends before your new one starts, you can use a storage facility. We recommend Armadillo storage in the city centre as they seem very reasonably priced and you can share storage with your housemates to further reduce the cost.
- If you need to use storage facilities or stay in a hotel for a short time, please remember to book early to avoid possible disappointment.
Please remember to check your contract for the exact start date of your tenancy.
It is now time to set up your utilities.
If you have already signed up with UniHomes, they’ll be in touch with you shortly about setting up your utility bill payments. Please look out for emails from them.
If you haven’t already sorted your utility providers, PJ Properties recommend UniHomes to provide utilities to your property. We would suggest that you set this up as soon as possible to ensure your utilities are in place for when you move in. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org let them know that you’d like to sign up.
If you have decided to use separate utility providers, please contact them ASAP. Do not leave this until your tenancy start date.If you aren’t sure of suppliers, you can call the following numbers and they’ll tell you who is currently supplying your new address:
- Yorkshire Water: 0845 1242420
- Northern Power Grid (Electricity): 0800 1114005 (alternatively, you can visit www.northernpowergrid.com and scroll down to the ‘Who is my energy supplier?’ section)
- National Grid (Gas): 0870 6081524
It is vital that you take meter readings (gas and electricity) as close as possible to the start date of your tenancy and provide the readings to your utility suppliers. PJ Properties do not take meter readings for you.
For tenants moving into a property with the utilities supplied by Unihomes but no longer wish to use them, Unihomes will move the energy supply to a new standard residential supplier and a letter will be delivered to the house in the name of ‘new occupier’. The tenants can either call the supplier at this point or move to someone new.
Please remember to consider taking out contents insurance for your belongings. We would recommend using Endsleigh Insurance as they are recommended by the NUS.
Remember that you have signed a joint tenancy agreement. This means that you are all jointly liable for each other. It is therefore in your best interests to ensure that each tenant respects the property otherwise you will all be liable for any damages incurred.
- Do not fix any locks or bolts to your door under any circumstances as per tenancy agreement.
- Keep the use of blue/white tak to a minimum. You will be charged for redecoration costs.
- Do not hammer tacks or nails into walls or put any shelves up.
- Please refrain from ironing your clothes on your bedroom carpet.
- Do not leave hot hair straighteners on your carpet.
- Any burns on your carpet will result in you being charged for a replacement carpet.
- Do not smoke or use candles in the property.
- Please ensure that you keep changing the hoover bag.
All fridge/freezer, washer/dryer and electric oven repairs are made by our local contractor, D.A.R.T. You can contact them directly on 0114 2661699.
If your boiler breaks down, inform us immediately and we will send an engineer round ASAP.
If you’d like to report a non-urgent or minor repair, please visit our website repairs page and submit a repair form or email email@example.com. For repairs of a more serious nature (leaks, plumbing problems, electrical problems), please phone our office.
For extreme emergencies outside of office hours, e.g. a burst pipe, please call the office and listen for the out of hour’s emergency number on our answerphone (this is strictly emergency only).
We only use tried and trusted local contractors and we have a full-time handyman to ensure we get to you as quickly as possible.
All gas appliances are checked annually. If you cannot find your tenants copy within the property, we have certificates available at our office.
It is essential to have a balance of heating and ventilation to combat the effects of condensation. Without a balance of heating and ventilation, mould may form in the corners of rooms and on walls without airflow i.e. behind wardrobes etc. Refraining from drying wet clothes in bedrooms can help the situation. If mould occurs, simply wipe it off, using a mould/mildew spray, and increase the heating and ventilation. Moving furniture away from affected areas (e.g. cold outside walls) will help air flow and to combat mould, as will leaving the bedroom door open whilst you’re out. Under no circumstances place the bed against an outside wall. It is essential to open the bathroom window regularly after showering and bathing.
Place your bin on the pavement the evening before it is due to be collected and put it back as soon as possible after it has been emptied. Bins left out on the pavement are a constant source of annoyance to local residents and are a health and safety hazard. Any rubbish not placed inside the bin will not be collected, and the bin will also not be collected if it’s so full that the bin won’t close. If you are unsure of when your bin is collected, please visit the following website https://www.gov.uk/rubbish-collection-day.
SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS AND FIRE INSTRUCTIONS
The detectors in your property are checked on an annual basis. If you discover a malfunctioning detector (normally indicated by a beeping sound), then please contact our office immediately.
IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE:
- Leave the room where the fire is and close the door.
- Alert any other people in the property.
- Leave the property by either the back door, the side door, or the front door (i.e. your nearest, safest exit). Do not stop to collect valuables.
- Call the fire and rescue service from a place of safety.
- Dial 999, ask for fire and give the operator the address and postcode.
- Wait outside, away from the building, and meet the fire service.
NB. Tenants must keep hallways and stairs clear from any obstructions (i.e. boxes, bin bags, rubbish etc.)
Please note that any communication with PJ Properties must only be from those who have signed the contract.
We do not deal with third parties i.e. parents or guardians.
If you have any questions regarding this email, please contact our office and a member of staff will be available to help.