To help you get answers quickly, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer to your query here, we’d be happy to help. Get in touch now.

About our Website

Do you remove properties from your website once they have been let?

No, we put 'Let Agreed' on the properties.

About our Properties

What furniture do you provide?

All our properties are fully furnished. Bedrooms have a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, chest of drawers and curtains or blinds as standard. We also supply sofas, a coffee table, white goods and an oven as a minimum.

You will however need to provide your own bedding, cutlery and pots/pans.

For the individual spec of each property, please contact us.

Can I get broadband internet access?

Yes, but it’s your responsibility as the tenant to get connected and pay the monthly bills. Please see our 'utilities' section of our website for more information about UniHomes!

Will I need a parking permit?

Yes, in the following areas:

  • Broomhill
  • Crookesmoor
  • Ecclesall Road Area
  • City Centre

Visit the Sheffield City Council website for more information.

Can I fix a lock on my bedroom door?

No, this isn’t allowed under any circumstances so it’s important that you know and trust the people you will be sharing with.

What safety features are there?

Most properties are supplied with fire blankets in the kitchens and regularly-tested smoke alarms throughout. All gas appliances are tested annually under the gas safe scheme.

What day is the bin collected?

Please see It is vital that, once the bin has been emptied, you move it off the pavement and back onto the property to avoid a fine from the Council.

The Letting Process

How do I arrange a viewing?

Just give us a call or email us to arrange a suitable time. We can meet you at the property or, if you prefer, come to our office and we’ll take you round in the car.

I’ve looked round a property and want to take it. What happens next?

You’ll need to move fast if you want to secure the property as competition can be fierce. We won’t take the property off the market until you have paid your deposit. 

Please note: Each person will need to provide their passport before signing the tenancy agreement to comply with the Governments Right To Rent legislation. If you are a foreign student please contact the office for further details.

Tenancy Info & Fees

How much will I need to pay?

Your security deposit of £200 per person must be protected by your agent or the landlord via a government approved tenancy deposit scheme. This is to ensure that if disputes arise these will be resolved by an independent third party. Within 30 days of paying your deposit your landlord or agent is required to give you details of the scheme. We currently use the Deposit Protection Service (DPS). DPS.

Lost Key(s) or other Security Device(s). Tenants are liable to the actual cost of replacing any lost key(s) or other security device(s). If the loss results in locks needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmith, new lock and replacement keys for the tenant, landlord any other persons requiring keys will be charged to the tenant. If extra costs are incurred there will be a charge of £15 per hour (inc. VAT) for the time taken replacing lost key(s) or other security device(s).

Change of Sharer (Tenant's Request) £50 (inc. VAT) per replacement tenant or any reasonable costs incurred if higher. To cover the costs associated with taking landlord's instructions, new tenant referencing and Right-to-Rent checks, deposit registration as well as the preparation and execution of new legal documents.

Early Termination (Tenant's Request). Should the tenant wish to leave their contract early, they shall be liable to the landlord's costs in re-letting the property as well as all rent due under the tenancy until the start date of the replacement tenancy. These costs will be no more than the maximum amount of rent outstanding on the tenancy.

P.J.Properties, P.J.Management Services and Atlantic Estates are all members of the (PRS) Property Redress Scheme which is a redress scheme and (CMP) Client Money Protect, which is a client money protection scheme.



How do I pay my rent?

The rent is payable by standing order in three instalments on 20th June, 20th October and 20th February. Each instalment represents four months rental. This standing order mandate needs to be set up no later than two weeks after signing of the tenancy agreement.

Tenancy Agreement

What kind of contract will I be signing?

You and your friends will be signing an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. The agreement is legally binding for the length of the tenancy - usually for 12 months (typically 1st July to 30th June).

You should take care to read and understand it before signing. Please note that if more than one person is named as the tenant the responsibility for the rent is shared.

Moving In and Moving Out

When can I pick up the keys?

You can pick up keys from 1pm on the first day of your tenancy. Please phone the office in advance to make an appointment to pick them up so we can make sure they're here ready for you. If you are unable to make an appointment during our opening hours, please contact us ASAP to make alternative arrangements.

'What do I do with my key(s) when I move out'?
You will need to bring it/them to P.J.Properties office no later than 1pm on the last day of your tenancy agreement (which is usually 30th June, if unsure contact the office). We email and text all tenants before the end of the tenancy with detailed instructions.

Can I leave before the end of my tenancy?

Legally, you cannot terminate the tenancy early. However, with your housemates’ permission you can find a suitable replacement and we can prepare a new tenancy agreement (subject to a charge). We suggest advertising vacancies on and Facebook.

How do I give notice if I don’t want to renew my tenancy agreement for the following year?

Just send us an email or letter 1 calendar month before 1st November to advise us of your intention to quit the property.


Do we need to pay council tax?

No, full time students are exempt from paying council tax.

Who is responsible for paying for water, gas, electricity, phone, broadband and TV license?

Tenants are responsible for paying for all utilities unless specified otherwise. At the start of your tenancy you must take meter readings and advise the utility companies of your details.

If you want to keep the phone line, contact the current tenants before the end of their tenancy to try to ensure that the line doesn't get disconnected as BT may charge you £125 to reconnect the line. 

To avoid the hassle of shared bills, we recommend who can supply your gas, electricity, water, broadband and TV licence. As each housemate is billed individually, you only pay your share of the bill.

Do I need to take out any insurance?

Your landlord is responsible for the buildings insurance but you and your housemates will require individual contents insurance. We recommend Endsleigh who are approved by the NUS:

Access Arrangements

What happens if you require access to the property whilst we are tenants?

We will provide approx 24 hours notice to advise you as to when and why we require access. You don’t need to be at the property as we have our own set of keys, however you can choose to be present if you prefer.

Maintenance and Repairs

See our maintenance page to find out what to do if you need to report a fault or maintenance issue at your property.