PROPERTY VACATION INSTRUCTIONS
We are writing to remind you that you will need to have vacated your property by 1pm on the date stated on your tenancy agreement. If you are unsure of your tenancy end date please contact the office.
If you and your housemates are vacating your property before the end of your tenancy please let us know and we can prioritise your deposit return.
In order to receive your deposit back, there are a number of things that you and your housemates must do:
DO NOT TAKE KEYS WITH YOU
· YOU MUST: bring all keys to PJ Properties office.
· Our office opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
· If you vacate your property outside office hours, please post your key through our letter box in the steel door at the rear of our office. Turn left up by The Royal Bank of Scotland on the corner and left again after 20 metres.
· Place your key in an envelope with your name and address of the property.
· FAILURE TO RETURN YOUR KEY OR LATE RETURN OF KEYS WILL RESULT IN A CHARGE OF £70.00 MINIMUM.
We understand that many tenancies may not begin until July, but unfortunately we cannot allow you to stay in your property after your tenancy has ended. If you are staying in Sheffield over summer and the change between your new and old tenancy has potentially left you stranded here are a few options;
· Contact your new landlord to see if you can store your belongings at your new house (please remember that they are under no obligation to do so). Do not leave anything you feel is valuable.
· If your new tenancy is with PJ Properties, get in contact with us and we will put you in touch with the current tenants. They may be willing to let you store your items with them. Please make sure everything is clearly labelled as 'incoming tenant items' and preferably boxed together on your bed. You will need to make arrangements with the current tenants directly, PJ Properties staff will not be able to give you access. Again, please do not leave valuables.
· If none of these options are available to you, you can use a storage facility. We have recommended Armadillo storage in the city centre as they seem very reasonably priced and you can share storage with your housemates to further reduce the cost.
· If you need to use storage facilities or stay in a hotel for a short time please remember to book early to avoid possible disappointment.
· Remember, you don't have to move in on the first day of your tenancy. You can always take your belongings home with you and return with them when you are ready to start back in the new academic year.
You must return your keys to PJ Properties before 1pm on the day your tenancy ends. The details of this will be on your contract.
Please make sure that you thoroughly clean your property. If it is not cleaned to a reasonable standard, we will instruct our cleaners to do a thorough clean, the cost of which will be charged to you. You and your housemates should allow plenty of time to do all the cleaning. As the tenancy is joint you are all responsible for bringing the house up to standard including each other’s bedrooms.
· Thoroughly hoover all carpets/clean laminate flooring.
· Wipe and dust all surfaces including window sills and skirting boards.
· Remove all blu-tak and drawing pins from walls and ceilings. Excessive marks may mean re-decoration and this will be charged to you.
· All windows need to be cleaned on the inside.
· All rubbish must be removed from inside and outside of the property. Please remember that refuse collectors will only collect rubbish from wheelie bins with closed lids. Any rubbish left outside of the property that has to be removed will be charged at a minimum of £60.00.
· No items are to be left in the cellar, the cost of removing any items/rubbish from the cellar will be charged at a minimum of £60.00 (TV removal £75.00).
· Make sure that your vacuum cleaner is in working order. Do not wait until the last few days of your tenancy to let us know that your vacuum cleaner isn’t working, let us know now.
· Even if you think that the new tenants will benefit from some of your own personal items, please do not leave them in the property. You will be charged for the removal of any items left in the property.
· All cupboards need to be emptied and thoroughly cleaned inside and out.
· Wipe clean all work surfaces, tiles, grouting and white goods.
· Cookers, ovens and hobs must be degreased and scrubbed inside and out.
· Thoroughly clean the fridge and defrost the freezer (please allow 24 hours for defrosting). If you turn the power off to the fridge/freezer after cleaning, please leave the doors open to avoid them going mouldy.
· Please remove any unwanted crockery and pans from the kitchen.
· Thoroughly clean your toilet, shower, bath, tiles, sinks and flooring.
· Remove all personal bathroom items.
· Remove all blu-tak and drawing pins from walls and ceilings.Excessive marks may mean re-decoration and this will be charged to you.
· Vacuum your carpet including under the bed and furniture.
· Clean the bedroom furniture and remove all items.
· Re-position furniture into original position and replace original curtains and lampshades if you have changed these during your tenancy.
Please make sure that all final bills are paid and that you have final meter readings for gas, water and electricity.
· Please inform us NOW if you have removed any smoke detectors or smoke detector batteries. These will all be checked in the first two weeks of July and if any are found to be damaged or removed there will be a charge of £80.
· Your deposit is held by The Deposit Protection Service, a government approved scheme designed to protect your deposit.
· A lead tenant was nominated when you signed for the property, The DPS and PJ Properties will deal with the lead tenant ONLY.
· The lead tenant must not apply for the deposit to be returned until the expiration of your tenancy.
· The lead tenant will need to go online at www.depositprotection.com. They will need to log into the account and select ‘request a repayment’. These login details will have been sent to the lead tenants email address and home address before your tenancy started.
· If you do not know your login details for The DPS or you require more information on your deposit, please see the help section of their website or contact their dedicated helpline on 0844 4727 000. PJ Properties DO NOT hold these details as they are unique to each lead tenant.
· If we do intend to make any deductions from your deposit we will send details to the lead tenant via email. All correspondence regarding your deposit MUST be in writing.
· If there are no deductions we will agree to your repayment request and The DPS will release your deposit ASAP.
PJ PROPERTIES DO NOT WISH OR INTEND TO DEDUCT ANY AMOUNT FROM YOUR DEPOSIT. PLEASE DO NOT PUT US IN A DIFFICULT POSITION BY IGNORING THE REQUESTS LISTED ABOVE.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT SPEAK TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS REGARDING DEPOSITS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
If any aspects of the above instructions are not clear, please contact our office on 0114 2667666.
Thank you for your co-operation and good luck for the future.